Job: Intake Counsellor- Toronto
THE COSTI CORVETTI EDUCATION CENTRE REQUIRES AN INTAKE COUNSELLOR FROM THE HORN OF AFRICA REGION
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing settlement, employment, rehabilitation and E.S.L. services to newcomers. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org
*This is a full-time union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week* (Current incumbent is on a Maternity leave)
- Assesses clients’ needs in regards to settlement issues and/or career guidance.
- Refers client to other agencies or in-house for further counselling.
- Develops short term and long term case management counselling services.
- Administers ESL proficiency tests and registers clients in courses.
- Liaises with other agencies and organizations regarding services for clients.
- Inputs cases in database system and prepares statistical reports.
- Facilitates groups and workshops for newcomers.
- Provides administrative support for centre (evening work).
- Must be able to work afternoons, Monday to Thursday (between the hours of 10:45am to 8:30pm).
- Community college diploma in a social service field or equivalent.
- Minimum nine months experience in providing settlement services.
- Ability to communicate in Amharic and/or other East African languages is essential.
- Must have previous experience working with people from the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Somalia).
- Good customer service and sensitivity to newcomer clients.
LOCATION: 760 College Street, Toronto
DURATION: December 5, 2011- January 17, 2012
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $22.01 – $23.69 per hour
POSTING DATE: November 11, 2011
CLOSING DATE: November 24, 2011
*Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.*
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall, this position may be open to Union members on a secondment basis.
If you are interested, please quote Reference #88-11 and send your resume with a cover letter to:
Mr. Michael Politi
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto ON M6E 3P2
Email: email@example.com or Fax: 416-658-8537
“We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.”
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community.